The Bansko Jazz Festival 2009 Programme has arrived — like a homing pidgeon, direct from the office of Dr Iliev, I am delighted to be able to publish the FINAL Bansko Jazz Fest 2009 line up.
Dr Emi Iliev is the mastermind behind the Jazz Fest in Bansko – Â since the very start. And this year, he and hisÂ team have pulled a few rabbits out of the rat: Â For example acts like Clare Teal areÂ just one of top world famous acts to make it over for the Bansko Jazz Festival.
If you require a private transfer, need bus timetables or a hire car go here:Â http://banskoblog.com/sofia-transfers/.
STAGE HOTEL ROYAL TOWERS (all concerts start at 4 p.m.)
Dixie Brunch – 11.30 – 13.30h.with Dixie Teteven
Hotel Villa Roka – every day from 5p.m. – 7p.m. – Mitko Rusev jazz band – Bulgaria
Bunder pub – every night from 10.30 p.m. – 3.00 a.m. jam session
The organizers reserve the right to make changes in the programme.
|MAIN STAGE – VAPCAROV SQUARE BANSKOÂ (ALL concerts start at 7.30 p.m.)|
|Vasil Petrov & Mery Taneva and big band Blagoevgrad – Bulgaria||Maciej Sikala trio – Poland||Kamelia Todorova – Bulgaria||Brother Hood – Switzerland||Michaela Rabitsch & Robert Pawlik quartet – Austria||Jamie Davis – USA + Festival Big band Bansko|
|Otto Heijnic trio – Czech Republik/Slovakia||Mario Stanchev trio – France||Jazzex – Ukraine||Four Bones Jazz Combo – Hungary||Axel Zwingenberger – Germany||Roy Powell Peak Experience Trio Norway|
|Clear Teal band- England||Keiko Borjeson and WomaJazz – Japan/Italy||Judy Lewis trio – Israeli||Candy Dulfer band – Holland||Irvin Lews Lattin and his band – USA||Yehya Khalil band – Egypt|
|STAGE “B” Â BANSKO ROYAL TOWERS HOTEL (all concerts start at 4 p.m.)|
|Dixie Brunch : Â 11.30 – 13.30 with Dixie Teteven
Bulgaria Hotel Villa Roka – every day from 5p.m to 7p.m. – Mitko Rusev Jazz Band
Bulgaria Bunder pub – every night from 10.30 p.m. – 3.00 a.m. Jam Session
The organizers reserve the right to make changes in the programme.
Don’t forget STAGE “B” BANSKO ROYAL TOWERS (“BRT”) concerts – ALL concerts start at 4.00pm…
…located just over bridge from gondola lift station. Last year, I particularly enjoyed Mind Trips , a successful “chill out” jazz style. Mind Trips play on stage B at BRT on Tuesday 11th August.
The BRT has a pleasant family swimming pool setting, good bar and spa …situated 100 metres from accommodation here:Â http://banskoblog.com/bansko-accommodation/All in all,Â the afternoon BRT sessions are really worth making the effort see.
Bansko Royal Towers (Stage B) Programme (all start at 4.00 pm)
8th August: Â Â Â Arabrl and Please Shut Up Band – Austria/Bulgaria
9th August: Â Â Â Ulrich Wangenheim Qiuntet – Germany/Bulgaria
10th August: Â Brother Hood – Switzerland
11th August: Â Mind Trips – Bulgaria
12th August: Â Brazilacoustic – Bulgaria
If you are thinking of a round of golf, or checking out the new Pirin Golf clubhouse be sure to check out tournaments and video and pictures here:Â http://banskoblog.com/pirin-golf-and-country-club/
Enjoy mountain biking? Then listen to local enthusiast James Hughes here:Â http://banskoblog.com/mountain-bike-event/. Day time swimming at Bansko Royal Towers or in the spa pool at Dobrinishte just 10 minutes away are good places to relax, sunbathe and cool down.
So I’ve put together some, what I think are, Quite Interesting FACTS on the main acts. One thing is for sure — the line up is superb, and genuinely international.
If you find this guide usefu,l please be sure to sign up for more on Bansko and the Jazz Fest 2009… if you are on twitter – please give it a quick retweet and help make this best year ever. Watch this space for more on the Jazz Fest 2009 both before , during and after the event.
MANHATTAN TRANSFERÂ (USA):
UPDATE TO PROGRAMME: Please Note Manhatten Transfer are NOT playing at 2009 Festival
As soon as theyÂ appearedÂ inÂ 1969,Â Manhattan TransferÂ marked a new trend in the vocal recreation of jazz.Â TheÂ USÂ groupÂ isnamedÂ afterÂ oneÂ ofÂ theÂ bestÂ knownÂ novelsÂ ofÂ John Dos Passos,Â whose action takes place inÂ New York.Â PublishedÂ inÂ 1925,Â it recreatesÂ personalÂ storiesÂ whichÂ happenÂ inÂ theÂ so-calledÂ ”golden age”Â of jazz.
- twoÂ GrammyÂ awardsÂ forÂ theÂ albumÂ VocaleseÂ inÂ 1985
- 12 nominations
- recordedÂ almostÂ 20Â CDs… includingÂ Spirit of St. LouisÂ (2000),Â SwingÂ (1997),Â Tonin’Â (1995),Â The Manhattan Transfer Meets Tubby the TubaÂ (1994),Â BrasilÂ (1987),Â Bodies and SoulsÂ (1983), etc.
CANDY DULFERÂ and her bandÂ (Netherlands)
BornÂ inÂ Amsterdam,Â she is the daughter of renowned jazz saxophone player Hans Dulfer.
CandyÂ startedÂ playingÂ theÂ saxophoneagedÂ seven,Â andÂ atÂ theÂ ageÂ ofÂ 14Â she already had her own group – FunkyÂ Stuff.
- BesidesÂ withÂ Prince,Â CandyÂ hasÂ recordedÂ withÂ DaveÂ StewartÂ (Eurythmics)
- Recorded with Beyonce,Â Pink Floyd,Â Chaka Khan,David Sanborn,Â Marcus Miller,Â Alan Parsons
- HerÂ musicÂ synthesizesÂ rockÂ andÂ beat,Â blues,Â pop and jazz.
- Her latest project is calledÂ FunkedÂ up & ChilledÂ Out.
- The blondÂ divaÂ willÂ beÂ playingÂ BanskoÂ afterÂ threeÂ bigÂ concertÂ toursÂ â€“Â inÂ Japan,Â EuropeÂ andÂ theÂ US.
CLAREÂ TEALÂ and her bandÂ (UK)
ClareÂ TealÂ isÂ aÂ singerÂ withÂ anÂ impressiveÂ voice,Â aÂ composerÂ withÂ herÂ ownÂ signature.
An amazing person with aÂ ”crazy”Â sense of humour.
- BornÂ inÂ Yorkshire,Â UK,Â she made her fist steps as a vocalist at the age ofÂ 15.
- AfterÂ completing herÂ musicalÂ education,Â inÂ 2005Â Clare hit the scene with her CDÂ Donâ€™t talk.
- TheÂ albumÂ immediatelyÂ gotÂ intoÂ theÂ UK Top 20,Â and 60,000 copies were sold.
- SheÂ receivedÂ raveÂ reviewsÂ fromÂ theÂ critics and was voted JazzÂ VocalistÂ ofÂ theÂ Year forÂ 2005.
- BBC hadÂ proclaimedÂ herÂ Singer of the Year 2006.
- JazzÂ Vocalist ofÂ theÂ YearÂ forÂ 2007.
- Clareâ€™sÂ newÂ albumÂ GetÂ HappyÂ featuresÂ bothÂ her own compositions as well as cover versions.
- TheyÂ includeÂ LoveÂ HurtsÂ and Cheek toÂ Cheek,Â which she performs with an enviable feelingÂ for style.
- AtÂ theÂ sameÂ time,Â sheÂ deliversÂ anÂ amazingÂ moderninterpretationÂ ofÂ classicÂ jazz.
AXEL ZWINGENBERGERÂ (Germany)
SinceÂ theÂ ageÂ ofÂ 19,Â pianistÂ AxelÂ ZwingenbergerÂ hasÂ beenÂ travellingÂ theÂ worldÂ as a genuine ambassador ofÂ BoogieÂ Woogie.Â Born inÂ 1955Â inÂ Hamburg,Â GermanyÂ heÂ hasÂ playedÂ inÂ someÂ 50Â countries in Asia, Africa, America and across Europe.
- HeÂ isÂ currentlytheÂ bestÂ BoogieÂ WoogieÂ pianistÂ inÂ theÂ world.
- HeÂ has eight soloÂ albums.
- BritishÂ musicÂ criticsÂ hailÂ AxelÂ as theÂ BoogieÂ WoogieÂ master of the world.
- Authentic AmericanÂ boogieÂ woogieÂ and blues styles.
JAMIE DAVISÂ (USA)
Jamie Davis is one of todayâ€™sÂ greatest jazz vocalists.
- DavisÂ isÂ calledÂ theÂ ”chocolateÂ baritone”Â due to his fine deep timbre.
- HeÂ hasÂ takenÂ partÂ inÂ festivalsÂ andÂ concertsÂ bothÂ inÂ theÂ USAÂ aswellÂ asÂ overseas.
- MostÂ frequentlyÂ heÂ travelsÂ asÂ lead vocalist for the Count Basie Orchestra.
- HisÂ deepÂ baritoneÂ can be heard inÂ AÂ TimeÂ toÂ RememberÂ â€“
- a docudrama which won theÂ BlackÂ AmericanÂ IndependentÂ Filmmakers Award.
- Itâ€™sÂ AÂ GoodÂ ThingÂ wasÂ albumÂ ofÂ theÂ weekÂ on digital radio stationÂ www.thejazz.comÂ in DecemberÂ 2007
- on the in-flight audio play list ofÂ BritishÂ Airways, Scandinavian,Â AerÂ LingusÂ andÂ BritishÂ Midland.
- Jamie Davisâ€™ latest disc is calledÂ VibeÂ OverÂ Perfection. It was released inÂ 2008.
Vocal groupÂ JAZZEXÂ (Ukraine)
- JAZZEXÂ isÂ aÂ synonymÂ ofÂ highÂ professionalism,Â hugeÂ experienceÂ inÂ variousÂ musicÂ genres.
- TheÂ vocalÂ groupÂ JAZZEX, foundedÂ inÂ 2005, by a group of like-minded people, sharing a love forÂ a cappellaÂ singing.
- JAZZEXÂ isÂ theÂ onlyÂ well-knownÂ mixedÂ a cappellaÂ group in Ukraine.
- TheÂ membersÂ areÂ sopranosÂ TatyanaÂ ShilovaÂ andÂ ElenaÂ Orlova,Â altoÂ MarinaÂ Kerusenko,
- tenorÂ SergeiYurchenko,Â baritoneÂ PavelÂ MoskalenkoÂ andÂ bassÂ DmitryÂ Efimenko.
- TheÂ groupÂ activelyÂ collaboratesÂ withÂ percussionistÂ AlexanderÂ Beregovsky.
- JAZZEXÂ getsÂ itsÂ inspirationÂ equallyÂ fromÂ folk sourcesandÂ theÂ treasuryÂ ofÂ jazz.
- TheÂ groupsâ€™Â debutÂ albumÂ Bee JAZZEXÂ was released in DecemberÂ 2007.
- InÂ 2009Â theÂ Contemporary A Cappella Society (CASA)Â nominated:
- BestÂ JazzÂ Album,Â BestÂ EuropeanÂ Album, Best Classical Song (forÂ Flight of theÂ Bumblebee). JAZZEXÂ isÂ currentlyÂ preparingÂ itsÂ newÂ project.
JUDY LEWIS TRIOÂ (Israel)
- JudyÂ LewisÂ beganÂ herÂ careerÂ asÂ aÂ jazzÂ musicianÂ someÂ 10Â yearsÂ agoÂ â€“Â a difficult time in her personal life.Â JudyÂ wasÂ lookingÂ afterÂ herÂ fourÂ childrenÂ onÂ herÂ own,Â workingÂ a 40-hourÂ weekÂ and doing all she could to promote her own music.
- SheÂ isÂ nowÂ aboutÂ toÂ releaseÂ herÂ fifth,Â and has won the reputation of a unique musician.
- JudyÂ startedÂ playingÂ theÂ pianoÂ atÂ age seven, quickly realising that this would be her vocation.
- She won a number of music prizes already as a child.
- SheÂ enrolledÂ inÂ NewYorkâ€™sÂ prestigiousÂ ColumbiaÂ UniversityÂ whereÂ sheÂ studiedÂ forÂ twoÂ years.
- In the last years Judy has been actively touring the concert stages of Europe and Israel.
- SheÂ hasÂ herÂ ownÂ recordingÂ company.
- SheÂ isÂ amongÂ theÂ foundersÂ ofÂ jazzÂ educationinÂ Israel, after the inauguration of a jazz music department inÂ 2001.Â JudyÂ lecturesÂ jazzÂ improvisationÂ atÂ theÂ Rubin Academy of MusicÂ and theÂ Hebrew UniversityÂ in Jerusalem.
- InÂ BanskoÂ JudyÂ LewisÂ willÂ performÂ withÂ herÂ trio.
OTTO HEJNIC TRIOÂ (Czech Republic, Slovakia)
Besides being fine instrumentalists, the members of theÂ OTTO HEJNIC TRIOÂ areÂ also original, contemporary composers. The trio plays its own inventive, imaginative jazz.
- The leading figure isÂ Otto HejnicÂ â€“ an exceptional drummer. Born in 1975
- graduated the Conservatory in Prague and later attended the Berklee School of Music
- recorded a number of CDs, notablyÂ Live from New Orleans 2004,
- At present Otto lives in Prague and, besides the concerts he gives in the Czech RepublicÂ and acrossÂ Europe
- he also teaches at the International School of Music and Fine Arts Prague.
- The young virtuoso pianist, composer and musicianÂ Ondrej KrajÅˆÃ¡kÂ was born in 1978 in Levice, Slovakia.
- His first contact with jazz was at the age of ten when he heard theÂ Oscar Peterson TrioÂ on the radio.
- Ondrej KrajÅˆÃ¡k is considered one of the best pianists in Slovakia
- influenced by the music of Bach, BartÃ³k, Chopin and Prokofiev on the one hand, and
- by the jazz greats Oscar Peterson, Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Chick Corea and Adam Makovic, on the other.
- Stefan BartusÂ is one of the few â€œwhiteâ€ jazz double bass players with aÂ black style of playing the so-calledÂ black feeling.
- Due to his specific style, he is able to perform with a number of well-known musicians not only in Slovakia, but in Europe as well.
MACIEJ SIKALAÂ TRIOÂ (Poland)
Maciej SikalaÂ graduated the jazz department of the Music Academy in Katowice in 1987.
- first prize from the International Jazz Improvisation Contest in Katowice (1986)
- first place in the readersâ€™ survey of Jazz Forum – tenor saxophone category for 1995-2004
- first place in soprano saxophone category for 2001.
- He has played with different formations â€“ theÂ Piotr WojtasikÂ Quintet,Â Piotr RodowiczÂ Quartet,Â Leszek MoÅ¼dÅ¼er QuintetÂ andÂ Sextet, etc.
- He has performed with Lester Bowie and Kenny Wheeler, with pianist Dolph Castelano and vocalist Miles Griffith.
- In 2004 he toured with American sax player Billy Harper.
- He has recorded 40 CDs.
- Since 1998 has been playing in trio with Piotr LemanczykÂ andÂ Tomasz SowiÅ„ski both his own compositions and jazz standards.
Piotr LemanczykÂ â€“ double bass,Â bass guitar, composer, arranger.
- Prize winner of Jazz Juniors â€˜95 and â€˜96 in Krakow
- Jazz on the OderÂ â€˜96 in Wroclaw and others.
- Has recorded three CDs as front man, highly acclaimed by the critics.
- Has played almost all European countries, Canada and Israel.
Tomasz SowiÅ„skiÂ â€“ a graduate of the Music Academy in Gdansk.
- Laureate of the JazzÂ Juniors contest with the group JUST FRIENDS (1997) and of the jazz standards contest in Siedlce.
- Member of the formations of the best known Polish jazzmen -Â Leszek MoÅ¼dÅ¼erÂ Â Trio,Â Emil Kowalski Quintet,Â WojtekÂ .
MARIO STANTCHEV TRIOÂ (France)
PianistÂ Mario StantchevÂ was born in Bulgaria, where he was educated. He studied piano at the Secondary School of Music and later at the State Music Academy in Sofia. His career in his home country was highly successful and he enjoyed the respect and admiration of both colleagues and fans. He took part in all jazz forums staged in Bulgaria at that time.
- Mario left Bulgaria three decades ago
- lives and works in France where he is performing as well as teaching.
- He lectures at the jazz department he founded at the National Conservatoire in Lyon.
- Mario Stantchev has taken part in almost all big festivalsÂ and has played throughout Europe, in America and Asia.
- From 1998 to 2007 leader of a sextet named after him
- In 2005 theÂ Mario Stantchev SextetÂ played the Jazz Festival in Bansko
- Mario Stantchev TrioÂ which has already had numerous concert appearances.
- He is partnered byÂ Didier del AguilaÂ â€“ double bass andÂ Roland MerlincÂ - drums.
- Mario will mark two round anniversaries â€“ his 60th birthday which he celebrated last year and 30 years in France.
ROY POWELL PEAK EXPERIENCE TRIOÂ (Norway)
The Norwegian trio was set up by popular British pianist Roy Powell. The musicians perform his original compositions, which are a blend of rock, funk and fusion. The other members of the group areÂ Per Mathisen and Ivan Makedonov.
- Roy Powell was born in the UK.
- He studied piano and composition at the Royal Northern College of Music.
- He hit the scene in 1994 with his debut albumÂ A Big Sky.
- His albumÂ North by Northwest, was chosen jazz album of the year by amazon.co.uk.
- The single — Bow Out, composed in 2003, was released across the world â€“ from Japan, Australia and the USA to Europe and Scandinavia.
- Per Mathisen studied at the renowned Berklee College of Music, Boston, USA.
- Ivan Makedonov is a Bulgarian, born in 1975 in Bourgas. After graduating in classical piano and percussion, he moved to Norway, where he has been living for 15 years now. He teaches drums in Norwegian music schools. He has given concerts with many well-known Norwegian musicians.
- The group has had two successful tours in Bulgaria, playing more than eight different towns.
FOUR BONES JAZZ Combo (Hungary)
Four Bones Jazz appeared in 2002 as a quartet. With their academic education, the four trombone players are truly devoted to their music instruments.
- They have had successful appearances at forums in Hungary, as well as in Austria, Britain, Romania, China and Germany. They have played in a number of renowned concert halls with their own programme or accompanying well-known singer Zita Gereben.
- In 2006 the quartet was in the final of the Trombone Competition and Festival in Birmingham, organised by the International Trombone Association (ITA).
- s a varied repertoire, which ranges from the early Renaissance to contemporary music, through classical melodies, lively rhythms and, of course, jazz.
- Occasionally the quartet is joined by a rhythm section, and the formation is known as the FOUR BONES JAZZ COMBO. In Bansko we will see the combo, together with Zita Gereben.
KEILKO BORJESON and WomaJazz (Japan)
KeikoÂ BorjesonÂ began her career as a classical musician. Born in Tokyo, aged only five she made her debut on National Television with Beethovenâ€™s â€œFÃ¼rÂ Eliseâ€.Kazuko Yasukawa â€“ one of the best-known Japanese pedagoguesÂ â€“Â was her teacher for many years.Â After getting her Bachelorâ€™s degree in classical piano from TohoGaukenÂ University,Â Tokyo,Â inÂ 1973Â she specialised chamber music at SienaÂ AcademicaÂ Quigiana,Â Italy.Â In 1976 she graduated the Hurry Field School of Music, Los Angeles, USA, and in 1980 she studied at Wayne State Music University. During her classical period Keiko performed a number of piano concerts together with the NipponÂ SymphonyÂ Orchestra.
- Nearly 20Â years ago Keiko started playing jazz.
- She mastered the laws of jazz with the same consistency and method with which she studied classical piano.
- SheÂ receivedÂ her jazz education from the American jazz greats
- InÂ 1994Â Keiko was honoured with the title Jazz Music Professor at Shin-yoÂ University in China.
- Partly living in Japan, the USA and Sweden she is touring all over the world.
- Last year, Keiko became a great friend of Bulgaria. During the 11thÂ Jazz Festival in Bansko
- This year the singer will perform together withÂ Woma Jazz â€“Â an attractive and successful womenâ€™s jazz formation.
- Its members includeÂ Irene Robbins â€“ piano and vocal, Silvia Bolognesi â€“ bass, and the dancerÂ AcaiÂ Arop Lombardi. At the heart of this project are the temperamental Keiko and Irene â€“ two ladies with strong scenic presence and invention.
- Keiko plays elegant swing-flavoured jazz with a distinct bebop influence
- the well-known jazz pianist Hank Jones called her “one of the most innovative pianists I have known and listened to in years
- “adventurous, light-hearted style, a combination that may seem contradictory, they crystallize perfectly in the hands of Keikoâ€.
MICHAELA RABITSCH & ROBERT PAWLIK Quartet (Austria)
- Michaela RabitschÂ isÂ theÂ ”female Chat Baker of our time” â€“Â this is how the USÂ JazzsceneÂ magazine called her.
- She graduated theÂ Bruckner ConservatoryÂ inÂ Linz
- HasÂ playedÂ andÂ recordedÂ withHypersax,Â the orchestra of the BurgtheaterÂ in Vienna,Â various groups and orchestras.
- Robert PawlikÂ studiedÂ jazzÂ guitarÂ atÂ theÂ ConservatoryÂ inÂ Vienna and at theÂ American Institute of MusicÂ withÂ Les WiseÂ andÂ Karl Ratzer.
- JointÂ projectsÂ with Al Fats Edwards, Andy Lee Lang, and others.
- Michaela RabitschÂ & Robert PawlikÂ areÂ partneredÂ byÂ well-knownÂ jazzÂ musicians.
- Karl SayerÂ is one of the most popular bassists in Austria.
- OnÂ theÂ drumsÂ -Â Dusan NovakovÂ â€“ a Serb in origin who lives in Vienna
- TheirÂ latestÂ albumÂ MoodsÂ appearedinÂ 2008.
- InÂ itÂ MichaelaÂ andÂ RobertÂ presentÂ tenÂ originalÂ songs,Â inspired by theirÂ ownÂ life.
- MelancholicÂ orÂ fullÂ ofÂ energyandÂ optimism,Â theÂ piecesÂ changeÂ theirÂ moodÂ â€“Â just as in reality.Â Â This is the programme the quartet will present in Bansko.
So that’s the latest Jazz Fest 2009 roundup. here will be more soon.
Please comment on what you will be doing at the Bansko Jazz Festival and your favourite acts.
Stay tuned for more Jazz Festival news and updates, pictures and videos.
Whilst this is a blog on Bansko, be sure to check out reviews on this site on other areas and things to do such as The Seven Rila Lakes: Â http://banskoblog.com/seven-rila-lakes/. If you are looking for acommodation in Sofia then I have just been offered of a top one bedroom modern apartment right in the centre of Sofia with a perfectview of Vitosha. Just contact me for more info
If you enjoy keeping up to date with what’s going on in and around Bansko – then please enter your name and email for newsletter.
NOTE: If you wish to copy anything from this article, or web site, please ask first. I usually say yes with a credit and link back. Thank You